Bedford Area Bus Users Society
July 19, 2024, 08:39:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't forget our BABUS homepage - click here to return to it.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Threats to bus services in Central Bedfordshire  (Read 281 times)
Alan Sprod
BABUS Member

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2024, 11:20:23 AM »

Below is a message, sent to my three Ampthill CBC concillors, plus my MP:

Dear Councillors and Member of Parliament,
Although cycling has been my major campaigning commitment, I am also interested in sustaining public transport, particularly bus services. Although I am a car owner, I opt to use bus services whenever possible. From prolonged experience, the reliability of bus services has diminished over the years. Cancellations are a rarity, but late running happens far too often. The irony is that bad punctuality is caused by road congestion from its main competitor, namely the motor car – the latter often containing a single person.
Provided that buses are well-loaded, they are more energy efficient than a car – an important aspect in relation to climate change.
Currently there are two potentially disastrous proposals:
•   The possibility of a major reduction in CBC financial support for services operated by Grant Palmer.
•   The announcement by Stagecoach that it will be withdrawing its Service 2 between Bedford and Flitwick, as from 18 February.
If these threats take place, the bus timetables serving Ampthill will be decimated, probably down to a quarter of present frequencies. The downward spiral will have a dramatic affect on total loadings. Although I will have the climate-adverse alternative of using my car, many existing bus-users will be seriously deprived.
I seek your support in ensuring that the present frequency of bus services is retained in the future. More cars on the road is not good for the environment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: