Bedford Area Bus Users Society
July 19, 2024, 10:19:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't forget our BABUS homepage - click here to return to it.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Road closure in Shefford  (Read 2152 times)
PeterJW
BABUS Member

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:19:31 PM »

Affecting routes 71, 72 and 200 during week comm 17 Jul 17. Nothing on Stagecoach or G P websites.
Simon Norton
BABUS Committee Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:36 PM »

Nor is there anything on Stagecoach or Whippet for the closure of St Neots rail bridge, though admittedly that's only for one day (Wed 19 July) and only between the peaks.

However Stagecoach has posted a notice that the 81 will be terminating at Luton station interchange (the same stop as is used by the 99 to MK) rather than the Galaxy because of roadworks within Luton. Also the 99 will only be serving the one stop within the town centre. There is nothing at the temporary stop to tell people that the 81 does stop there, so is there a danger that people will continue to try to use the stop when the bus has gone back to its old stop ?

One might also ask whether it would be sensible for Stagecoach to keep the current stop permanently.
Colin Franklin
BABUS Committee Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »

Whereabouts is this road closure in Shefford?
PeterJW
BABUS Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »

Clifton Road, Shefford is closed near to the Hong Kong House Chinese take-away. The advance warning notice at the eastern end of Shefford Road, Clifton, gives an exact location!

Most bus stops on the 71/72/200 routes between Shefford and Clifton carry an advisory notice placed by Central Beds Council. It is not clear if the dates cited are (a) CBC hedging their bets, or (b) using a dodgy calendar. In the event the end of closure date cited is academic as today, Sat 22 Jul, it is clear that there is no work going on and that the closure and resulting disruption will extend into another week.
Simon Norton
BABUS Committee Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 04:00:07 PM »

Travelling on an 81 yesterday I saw a notice of an intended road closure between Barton and Silsoe. We were going too fast for me to read the notice (what's the point of having these notices if one can't read them ?) but I looked up on roadworks.org and it looks like it's happening on Sat 7 Oct, times not stated.
Assuming it does affect the bus service I imagine the 81 will be diverted via Pulloxhill.

This isn't (yet) on the Stagecoach website, but a closure that is is the one that has been taking place at Kempston Hardwick this week. The 42 (both Stagecoach and Grant Palmer) are being diverted via the A6 to Houghton Conquest. I went south on Grant Palmer, which turned round at Kempston Retail Park and used the A6 past Wilstead then turned off towards Houghton Conquest where it picked up its normal route. The Stagecoach service I came back on went past Stewartby turn to reach Houghton Conquest from the north, even though according to the Stagecoach website Stewartby Turn isn't being served. This is actually the officially signposted route, but it's longer and there are current roadworks which mean minor delays negotiating it.

Incidentally, I had an email from Mick Furn to say that yesterday the 11.17 ex Buckingham (10.00 ex Bedford) was nearly half an hour late (even after going through the timetable padding of the MK section) -- evidently there was some trouble on the A428 out of Cambridge. There was also trouble at the other end when due to emergency repairs to the M40 traffic was diverted over part of the A34 between Oxford and Bicester. I don't know whether this was why the 18.56 ex Bedford (16.30 ex Oxford) was over 20min late -- again after negotiating the padded section. Neither the 09.30 nor the 18.26 ex Bedford was more than a few minutes late.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: