Bedford Area Bus Users Society
March 29, 2024, 06:10:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't forget our BABUS homepage - click here to return to it.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Stop Timetables  (Read 9222 times)
John Yunnie

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »

One of the most successful things that BABUS has ever done has been the campaign to persuade both Bedford Borough Council and Central Bedfordshire Councils to take the matter of up to date timetable information at bus stops seriously.  It is interesting to see that the whole question of bus stop information now forms the basis of a major article, entitiled "Poles Apart", in the May edition of Buses magazine.

Since moving to the Isle of Wight last year, I have been pleased to find that the need for such information is well appreciated here.  All Southern Vectis stops, even in the most remote rural settings, and a very high percentage of stops used by the other operator, Wightbus, show the departure time of every bus using that stop.  The summer timetable came into effect on Sunday 17 April and all stops were updated to meet that deadline.  It can be done if the willingness is there.

Sadly Wightbus is to close down after the last journeys on 2nd September and their timetable displays carry a message thanking passengers for their support over the years.
Alan Sprod
BABUS Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »

As many BABUS colleagues will know I have a major hang-up about the inadequacies of timetable information at bus stops within the Central Beds domain.

Earlier this month I have made bus journeys between Skipton(Yorkshire) and Barnoldswick (Lancashire), and also between Wellingborough and Stanwick in Northants. In all cases the bus stops were out-of-town-centre, but nevertheless each stop had a dedicated timetable display within a single display case and sponsored by the local council.

In contrast, within my home town (Ampthill), the bus stop timetable displays are totally inadequate. No bus stop has a single sheet display, at the best only a set individual timetables, often sellotaped to the bus shelter and very vulnerable to vandalism. The southbound Grant Palmer X42 timetable has recently disappeared from the bus shelter south of the Waitrose store. Although, in terms of boarding passengers,  the northbound bus stop outside The Albion is probably the busiest in Ampthill, it totally lacks any timetable displays.

Against the ambitious CBC LTP scenario, that bus should be the preferred travel mode for journeys of over five miles, it is bizarre that poor quality bus stop timetable continues to be tolerated by CBC and town councils. I will be compiling a message to the CBC portfolio holder during the Easter break.
PeterJW
BABUS Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »

May I suggest that Alan consider writing a piece on this topic and offering it to the BABUS Newsletter Editor for consideration?
Alan Sprod
BABUS Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:15:26 AM »

I am quite happy to write a brief article, but it will not be until mid-May. Off to Scotland tomorrow.

Also decided to await the local council elections before making contact with the portfolio holder.
Alan Sprod
BABUS Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »

I still intend to write an article before the end of this month.  Too many distractions recently.

During the recent warm spell, my means of travel between Ampthill and Flitwick station has always been by my Number One mode, i.e. my bike. Always reliable and not dependent on the whims of a provider outside my control.

Today I went shopping at the Hatfield Galleria, easily reached from St Albans by a frequent bus service. Since I anticipated bringing back a bulky load I opted for bus to/from Flitwick Station. Arriving back at Flitwick on time at 13.24, I just missed both the 13.18 and 13.20 buses. No point waiting for the 14.18 or 14.20 buses, so I walked home.

Passing several bus stops on the way, as always I looked at the current state of bus timetable information, discovering that there had been an epidemic of postings of the latest 197/200 timetables, all of which were mounted on bus stop posts with plastic ties. Most bus stops had the tables for both directions (why?), but it was all very scruffy and amateurish. Certainly no way to portray bus services. In particular, the postings at the northbound Flitwick Post Office stop were farcical. The timetables were posted above the eye-level Stagecoach J2 display, the upper one being about nine-feet above ground level.

Due to the lack of display cases, the sellotaped Grant Palmer X42 timetables have disappeared at several key stops.

When is someone in authority going to tackle the shambolic presentation of timetables at bus stops within Central Bedfordshire?
Alan Sprod
BABUS Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »

The timetable displays at the main bus stops in Ampthill and Flitwick are beginning to look rather messy. The main stops have the Central Beds Council consolidated timetable, normally in a display case, other than the Bedford Street stops in Ampthill, which have never had a timetable case.

Additionally Stagecoach and Grant Palmer are posting their company timetables, by sellotaping on the inside of the bus shelter screen. It looks scruffy and unprofessional and merely duplicates the excellent information on the CBC displays.

It must be very confusing for bus users, who must be bemused by the multiplicity of information. In a space of two years, we have gone from sparse timetable displays to a profusion of duplicated information.

Somebody needs to be in control of the displays at bus stops. Is this a CBC or town council responsibility?
Louter Langford

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »

As many BABUS colleagues will know I have a major hang-up about the inadequacies of timetable information at bus stops within the Central Beds domain.
Indeed Central Beds Council seem to be apathetic altogether regarding local transport. Part of the problem is that, in this part of the patch (Biggleswade area) at least, councillors are conspicuous by their absence from local bus services. They are the people making the decisions about something they have no knowledge of.  I don't see much evidence of John Yunnie's assertion that BABUS has had a great deal of success in promoting bus stop timetables in this area. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I'm only aware of a single real time display at Sandy Market Square. Why nowhere else in the Biggleswade area?
John Yunnie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »

At the time, four years ago, it made a great difference in the Bedford Borough area especially in the villages.  However, if nothing much has been done since then, of course, the situation will have deteriorated.

Here on the isle of Wight where I now live, Southern Vectis are responsible for timetable displays on bus stops, of which there are a vast number since there is no stopping on demand in rural areas and stops can be found in the most remote location and every stop has a clearly identifiable name; one on the Military Road in the south of the island is actually called "Back of Beyond".  Despite the vast number of stops scattered across the island, every one has a current timetable on display and they are all updated promptly at every timetable change date.

The fact that there is no other significant operator on the island is obviously a factor (two mini bus operations, one in Ventnor and one in West Wight being the only exceptions) if it can be done here, it ought to be possible elsewhere.
Alan Sprod
BABUS Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 08:11:29 PM »

Good News! The CBC consolidated timetables are now installed in the new display cases at the Bedford Street stops in Ampthill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: